Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) Cambodia Program
Program: WCS Cambodia Program
Duty station: Phnom Penh
Reports to: REDD+ Communications Advisor
Position Type: Full-Time
About WCS Cambodia
The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) is a non-profit organization dedicated to saving wildlife and wild places since its establishment in 1895. With over a century of experience, the WCS operates in over 60 countries and has helped establish more than 150 protected areas across the globe, safeguarding critical habitats and protecting thousands of endangered species.
In Cambodia, where wildlife and natural habitats are threatened, WCS is working to ensure a sustainable future for both people and wildlife. The Cambodia program takes a comprehensive approach to conservation, combining scientific research, community-based initiatives, and partnerships with local governments and organizations. From protecting diverse landscapes to mitigating the impact of zoonotic diseases and illegal wildlife trade, the WCS Cambodia program promotes conservation efforts across various issues and ecosystems.
With global attention turning to environmental issues, WCS Cambodia is committed to keeping information about the country's unique biodiversity and natural resources relevant and accessible to the Cambodian government and the public. Through a dedicated communications role, the program aims to engage key audiences, deliver timely and accurate information, and proactively promote conservation efforts by sharing compelling stories and multimedia content. In addition, by highlighting the voices and experiences of local communities and those on the frontlines of conservation, the program hopes to inspire action and build momentum to protect Cambodia's most precious wildlife and wild places.
About the Role
The ideal candidate for this role is a Cambodian national with a proven track record in content creation, storytelling, and media relations and experience in engaging governmental audiences at the national and sub-national levels. As the Communications Manager for the WCS Cambodia program, you will be responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive communications strategy that leverages your creativity and storytelling skills to craft engaging multimedia content, including short and long-form articles, photos, videos, and infographics.
At the same time, you will work closely with local and national government bodies to promote environmental awareness and sustainable practices and disseminate press releases to the media to create a groundswell of support for conservation. Working under the supervision of the REDD+ Communications Advisor and in close partnership with key staff, including communications officers based in Keo Seima and the Northern Plains, you will play an instrumental role in promoting the program's key conservation initiatives in Cambodia's diverse natural landscapes.
- Update and implement an effective communications strategy for the WCS Cambodia program, aligning it with its mission and goals and utilizing diverse media channels to promote its conservation initiatives and successes.
- Craft engaging digital content, such as feature stories, photos, videos, and infographics, that resonates with various audiences, including donors, partners, policymakers, and the public, and showcases the program's impact in protecting Cambodia's unique biodiversity and landscapes.
- Create compelling print materials that effectively communicate the program's impact, including brochures, posters, banners, and project signboards.
- Localize communications materials by translating content from English to Khmer, ensuring that messaging is effectively conveyed to local audiences across all projects.
- Manage and maintain the program's social media accounts and website, ensuring they are up to date with engaging and relevant content and exploring new social media networks, such as Instagram and TikTok.
- Build relationships with local journalists to promote accurate and nuanced reporting on conservation and proactively seek opportunities to engage with media outlets to showcase the program's work.
- Provide strategic guidance and support to program staff and partners on communications-related matters, including messaging, branding, and media relations, and ensure consistency and quality across all communication channels.
- Collaborate with the WCS Global Communications team and other WCS country programs to leverage best practices, share resources and knowledge, and advance the organization’s mission.
- Develop and implement a system for monitoring and evaluating the impact and effectiveness of the program's communications efforts and use data and insights to improve the program's strategies and tactics continuously.
Required Skills and Experience
- A Master’s degree or equivalent in Communications, Journalism, Conservation Science, or similar is required; a first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in place of the advanced university degree.
- At least five years of experience in digital communications, journalism, or social media, ideally at an NGO or IO in Cambodia.
- Experience in writing, editing, content production, and dissemination for online audiences at the national and international levels.
- Experience using advanced tools for online publishing, including content management systems, social media publishing tools, and newsletter software, such as Mailchimp.
- Experience working in conservation or rural development in Cambodia is an asset.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) is required; knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Figma, and Photoshop is an asset.
- Visual communication and design expertise is a plus.
- Written and oral fluency in English and Khmer is required.
- Able to work autonomously after being briefed on tasks and goals.
- Able to work comfortably and effectively across diverse cultures and stakeholder groups.
- Willingness to travel to remote field sites for extended periods.
Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications should apply by emailing a cover letter and CV with two work samples and the names and contact information of two references to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 01, 2023. Please include “Communications Manager” in the subject line of your email.
WCS is an equal-opportunity employer dedicated to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment and look for future team members who share that same value.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
To download the job description as a PDF, please click here.